Vivian Berry Charlotte, NC 2nd Place - 2002 National Cornbread Festival Cook-off
- For chicken mixture:
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (about 2 breast halves)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
- 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons chipolte pepper in adobo sauce, chopped very find in a blender
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies
- Mix chicken mixture ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- For cornbread mixture:
- 1 box (7.5 oz) Martha White Yellow Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 small can (8.25 oz) cream corn
- Mix cornbread ingredients in a separate bowl.
- 1 cup (4 oz) grated Mexican 4-blend cheese
- Avocado slices
- Sour cream
- Sunflower seeds (shelled)
Skillet Chicken Enchiladas
Preparation time, 20 minutes, cooking time 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Lightly grease a 10-1/2 inch iron skillet. Pour ½ the cornbread mixture into the skillet and spread to cover the bottom. Spread the chicken mixture on top of the cornbread and cover with the grated cheese. Put the remaining cornbread mixture on top and spread to cover chicken and cheese. Cook at 375 degrees, 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes. Cut and serve in pie shaped pieces. Garnish with avocado slices, a dollop of sour cream, and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
** Original untested recipe