Hidemi Walsh - 1st Place - 2017 Winner
For Coconut Cornbread:
1 package (7 ounce) Martha White® Sweet Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
1 large egg
½ cup canned coconut milk
1 tablespoon water
¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
For Chili Shrimp:
24 Frozen medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail removed and thawed
1 tablespoon grated fresh garlic
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 Large scallions
¾ cup water
¼ cup Sriracha® tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon sugar
¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/16 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg, beaten
½ tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
4 slices bacon
- Make coconut cornbread. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 egg, coconut milk, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of water and cornbread & muffin mix. Mix in coconut flakes until well blended. Use the lid of the Lodge® Cast Iron 3.2-quart Combo Cooker as a skillet. Spread the melted butter on the bottom of the lid and spread the cornbread mixture evenly. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 19-21 minutes until golden brown and a tooth pick inserted in center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- While the cornbread is baking, make chili shrimp. In a small bowl, mix together Sriracha® tomato ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper, 1/16 teaspoon of salt and black pepper.
- Heat the 3.2-quart Lodge® Cast Iron Combo Cooker over medium heat. Chop bacon, add the bacon to the cooker and cook stirring constantly until the fat is rendered and bacon is almost crisp. Add garlic and ginger to the cooker. Cook stirring constantly until fragrant. Add shrimp to the cooker and cook stirring constantly until shrimp turn opaque. Stir in the Sriracha® tomato ketchup mixture and ¾ cup of water. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Cut out the stem end of scallions and chop scallions. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water.
- After 5 minutes, add the scallions to the cooker and stir to combine. Then add the cornstarch mixture to the cooker and stir until thickened. Stir in the beaten egg until egg is fluffy, not over cooked.
- When the coconut cornbread has baked, remove the lid from the oven, cut the coconut cornbread into four and place on each individual serving platter. Put the chili shrimp over the top equally.