Sharon Sorensen - 2018 Finalist
For the Crispy Herb Crust:
2- 7 ounce packages Martha White® Sweet Yellow Honey Cornbread & Muffin Mix, reserve 3 tablespoons aside in a small bowl
6 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour (3 tablespoons for crust mixture, 3 tablespoons for dusting surface and crust roll out)
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¾ cup cold butter, unsalted and cubed
1- 5.3 ounce cup plain Greek yogurt, (4 tablespoons for crust mixture, the remainder for turkey mixture)
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
For the Caribbean Turkey-Tomato Filling:
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (1 tablespoon to coat inside of pan, 3 tablespoons to sauté turkey, onion, and pepper)
1 pound ground turkey
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic paste
¾ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander seed
¼ teaspoon ground all-spice
½ teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup half & half
1 ½ cups mozzarella (1 cup for turkey mixture, ½ cup reserved to sprinkle on top of tomatoes)
3 large red tomatoes, (¼” slices)
Drizzle of olive oil (about 1 ½ tablespoon)
¼ cup green scallions, sliced
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 mini yellow sweet peppers, sliced
For Fresh Herb Crumb Topping:
6 tablespoons fine bread crumbs
3 tablespoons cornbread mix (which was reserved earlier)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, de-stemmed
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Crispy Herb Crust: In food processor, pulse together cornbread mix, (minus the 3 tablespoons. set aside for the herb crumb topping), 3 tablespoons flour, dried thyme, sea salt, and cubed butter. Add 4 tablespoons of yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutmeg to the mix. Pulse until dough forms. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, and form dough into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap, and place into refrigerator while preparing the turkey mixture.
3. Caribbean Turkey-Tomato Filling: In a Lodge® 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet, pour 1 tablespoon olive oil. Using a paper towel, rub down entire inside of pan. Place pan on medium-high and add remaining oil. To hot oil, add turkey, yellow onion, and green pepper. Add in garlic paste, sea salt, white pepper, cumin, coriander, all-spice, cinnamon, dried thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, and cook all the spices with mixture, until turkey is browned and onions are translucent. Add in the remainder of the yogurt, half & half, and 1 cup of mozzarella. Stir well and remove pan from heat.
4. Rolling out dough: Remove dough from refrigerator. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 15-inch round. Place dough into a clean, Lodge® 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet, and press dough onto bottom and up the sides of pan. (This is a rustic pie shell, so no need to be particular). Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Filling the crust: Fill crust with cooked turkey filling. Place sliced tomatoes on top of turkey filling. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle mozzarella and green scallions on top. Top with mini yellow pepper slices.
6. Fresh Herb Crumb Topping: Mix bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons cornbread mix (which was reserved), fresh thyme, and melted butter in small bowl with fork. To finish, sprinkle crumb topping over tomatoes, cheese, scallions. Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until warmed completely throughout. Cover with tin foil to keep cheese and crust from getting to brown, if necessary. Enjoy immensely!