Bacon Jam Corn Cakes, Eggs Benedict, Spiced Fried Chicken and Honey Hollandaise
Ann Jones - 2018 Finalist
For the Bacon Jam Corn Cakes:
1 (6-ounce) package Martha White® Buttermilk Cornbread & Muffin Mix
1 egg, beaten
½ cup milk
For the Bacon Jam:
3 slices thick-cut bacon, coarsely chopped
½ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced large shallot
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (about ¼ teaspoon of each)
⅛ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
¼ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
¼ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons cup water
For the Buttermilk Bath:
8 ounces boneless/skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
1 cups buttermilk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
⅛ teaspoon onion powder
⅛ teaspoon thyme
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 heaping teaspoon honey
For the Chicken Dredge:
2 cups self-rising Flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon thyme, minced
¼ teaspoon dry sage, minced
Vegetable oil (for frying)
For the Chipotle Honey Hollandaise:
1 package hollandaise mix (or use favorite homemade recipe)
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 pinch chipotle chili powder
For the Poached Eggs:
6 large eggs, brought to room temperature
Salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. To make the Bacon Jam Corn Cakes, combine in a bowl and mix together. Set aside until ready to bake.
3. Using the top/lid of the Lodge® 3.2 Quart Cast Iron Combo Cooker as a skillet, heat over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown and crisp, 6-8 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; keep all the bacon fat in the pan; do not discard.
4. Add the onions and shallots to the skillet with the bacon renderings and cook over medium heat until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add the remaining Bacon Jam ingredients and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook until the jam has a glossy appearance and syrup-like consistency, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Allow the onion mixture to cool slightly. Add the bacon and onion mixture to a food processor and pulse until combine and onions are smaller bits but not to a paste. Return to the skillet and spread out into an even/smooth layer. Pour the cornbread mix over the top and bake 15 minutes.
6. Moving on to the chicken, combine the chicken and remaining Buttermilk Bath ingredients to a large bowl, cover and let set for at least 20 minutes.
7. Combine Chicken Dredge ingredients to a large dish; coat chicken in the flour mixture and shake off excess flour.
8. Add enough oil to fill half a Lodge® 3.2 Quart Cast Iron Cooker and bring up to 350° F over medium high heat. Fry chicken in hot oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from oil and let drain on paper towels.
9. Prepare hollandaise mix per package instructions. Add honey and chili powder at the end; stir until well combined and serve immediately.
10. To poach the eggs, add water to a large stock pot ¾ full and bring to a very low boil. Poach eggs 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to paper towels. Lightly salt and pepper.
11. To assemble, use a 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut out the Bacon Jam Corn Cakes. Top with fried chicken, poached egg, Hollandaise sauce and chives to garnish.